Thursday, June 21, 2007

once again, it has been a while...

As usual, I haven't updated my blog in forever so here is my attempt.... Really I just like reading other people's blogs and looking at their pictures. I have realized in the past month or two that I am definitely a person who likes to dabble in 100 things rather than focus on 5. I like to get involved in several projects and when I get tired of one, I move on to another, then come back to other ones and finish. I am not saying I start a lot of projects and never finish them, but I just like a lot of variety...



Most of you know this, but I have also decided to stay at my job. I think I needed to see what else is out there to appreciate what I have. Isn't that the case with most things. I thought I was over that, but I guess not with my job. I have a great sense of peace about the whole thing.. I decided to start challenging myself more and not relying on a job to challenge me.



I got my sewing machine back out and have been sewing. I made was Casey's baby bedding. I need to post a picture, but I haven't taken one yet.
The next thing I am going to make is some bedding for our bed. I have never been happy with our bedding. I have tried several things out and have changed many times... I am going to find the fabric and make exactly what I want. I think I thought it would be too big and hard, but I am ready to tackle that now.. I will start the fabric search tomorrow.


Ed and I are going to put our house on the market next week . We are not sure where we want to move and we want to take our time, so the plan is to move down the street to a house that his parents own and live there until we decide. And NO WE ARE NOT moving in with my in-laws, although I wouldn't have a problem with that...they are great. They have had this house in Memphis as a transition place while they were renovating their house in Kentucky and moving from their other house in Memphis. They finished the renovations in Kentucky and have moved all of their furniture out. Ed has started working from home most of the time, so he needs an room big enough for an office and a music room and I need a place to sew. Right now he has a music room, but with a drum set and guitars and speakers, there is no room for a big desk and computer equipment. This new house has a 4th bedroom upstairs and will be perfect until we decide what we want to do. This will also give me a very fun decorating project as well more space to work. Most of the walls in the house are plain, so I have already pulled all the paint colors and I will get started on that soon. I am excited to try a new paint scheme. I am testing out some bold but warm colors. I will post before and after pictures....


Another thing I am working on is putting things away at home as I use them. Our house is typically clean and if stuff is out it can be put away in 5-10 minutes. Well, this week I have started trying to clean up right when I use something. I can't leave my make up out all over the bathroom counter with the thought that I will get it later if we are having house showings. I can't leave my coffee spoon and cereal bowl on the counter b/c I don't feel like putting it in the dishwasher, I have to hang up the clothes that were hung up but I tried them on that morning to wear to work and finally decided on the 5th shirt. Usually I throw them all over a chest in our closet then and it becomes a huge pile and then I do it the next day too. How hard is it to hang up the shirt right after you try it on and decide it's a no? It is a new challenge...haha. How many days in a row do you have to do something before it is a habit?

11 comments:

Mittig family said...

Hey Katie,

That was quite a blog! It sounds like y'all have a lot going on right now! Moving to a new house is so much fun-good luck selling your current one so you don't have to show it forever and ever! By the way, I've always heard it takes three days to break a bad habit, so maybe that means you're making a new better habit at the same time? Good luck!

Love ya
Summer

Unknown said...

If you're trying to develop the habit of hanging up clothes, it's taken me approximately 32 years and I am BEGINNING to make some progress. Good luck with that, Katie ;).

angie c said...

I'm with you on the music room. Whew. Can kev keep his instruments and cabinets or whatever they're called in Ed's room! :) I've hit my toe on his equipment so many times I can't count anymore! So annoying. But they need their stuff so we need to get them a room, I guess.

Can't wait to see pics of the bedding

Amanda said...

Katie,
You make me laugh, I love your blog! I miss you, we need to catch up!! Tell Edwardo hello! Hope to see you all soon!!
love ya!
Shores

the robertsons said...

I think the move will be great for you guys! I know it can get crowded sometimes!! I'm looking forward to the transformation in the new house! It's gonna look great.
By the way, my bedding is beautiful!! It is the best bedding I have ever seen in person. Can I say that even though it's my nursery? Thank you for all of your help! Love you!

Jesse Faris said...

1. The bedding you made for baby Henley is amazing. I can't wait to see what you make for your own bedding!

2. Dude, I am THE WORST about putting clothes up after I have tried them on. Ask Nick...he can testify. I don't know why it is so hard to just put it back on the hanger and in the stinkin closet. I've heard that it takes 28-30 days to form a habit, but I'm apt to agree more with Kate! ;)

mkburcham said...

Katie-
Yeah! I am so glad you updated your post-you and I are alike in regards to our delay in posting! But-I am so happy to have an update on the job, house etc... I know you will do an amazing job decorating, I wish you could come out and help me-maybe we can arrange that for you and Ed this winter and ski! Anyhow-miss you-good luck on all your little projects-and I am happy you are a peace with the job decision! I will post some new stuff tonight about our weekend! Love Mer

Stephanie Reeves said...

How fun that you are putting your house on the market and moving? Most people think that moving is a big hassle but I think it's kind of fun. I love getting to start fresh and having an opportunity to get completely organized. Keep me posted.... and I want to see pics of all of your projects.

Unknown said...

So I guess this new house is "No Cats Allowed" too? hehe can't wait to see it. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Hi Katie,
I admire your excitement about tackling new projects! I have so many things on the "want to do" list that I never do anything. We too are limited on space and I never want to start anything because I have to put it all alway when finished. JD has an office/music room and I have a smidge of the guest room. It's not enough room to really sew or craft and it makes me shut down and not do anything.

Good luck with putting the house on the market. That is something we are considering. That is such a blessing to have a transition house! No pressure to sell/buy quickly.

We should get some of the creative girls together one night! I'd love to see what other people are doing!

Stacey Meredith

Max's Family said...

Katie,
Wow, the bedding you made for your friend is beautiful. I saw on her comment something about the bedding, so I clicked on her blog to see if she had a picture. First of all, that's one of the most beautiful nurseries I've seen. Very pretty. You did such an amazing job on her bedding. It looks like it came from a very expensive boutique. I'm calling you with my next baby.